Homemade Dishwasher Detergent

Process:
Materials needed:

  • Borax
  • Arm & Hammer Washing Soda
  • Citric Acid

Mix 1 cup Borax, 1 cup Washing Soda, 1 Tbsp. Citric Acid, 20 drops essential oil
Place 2 Tbsp. in dishwasher soap dispenser, wash as usual.

Result:
We have used this formula for 3 months and so far I do not like it. Pluses & Minuses so far:

  • - My glasses have a film on them. (I have been using Jet Dry as a rinsing agent.)
  • - I have to scrub every bit of food off of the dishes before washing them - I might as well hand wash them - to conserve I fill my sink with 1-2” lukewarm water and rinse them all in the same water, and I don’t use soap.
  • - I have to soak all my utensils in a bowl prior to loading in the dishwasher
  • + it is much less expensive than Cascade

I have been using Jet Dry in the rinsing compartment but I ran out last week so for the next 2 months I am going to try vinegar and if after 2 months I still have issues with this detergent I am going back to Cascade.